Forgive the tardy post but as you may have guessed from the title I have been sick with the cold. As I have been lying in bed coughing and hacking, I actually discovered many ways you can feel better.
- Rest- I hate to state the obvious but any doctor, naturopath, or witch doctor will tell you that the ultimate way to get rid of this nasty virus is to stay in bed and sleep lots. Phone in sick, let TV babysit the kids and forget all your other troubles.
- Liquids, Liquids and more Liquids-Yes, it is important to stay hydrated especially when you spend a lot of time coughing and choking. Your mouth will feel dry, your throat will be sore and you will find yourself sweating a lot. So be sure to drink a lot of fluids especially hot beverages. I happen to know the best hot beverage you can take for such a nasty cold. That is my Dragon Fire Tonic. (See next week’s post for the recipe)
- Let off a little steam- If you have a humidifier or some kind of steam maker then use it! Please know that you can put some wonderful aromatherapy to good use with this. Personally, I like to use Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Rosemary and Pine. These work the best when you are congested. If you don’t have anything like this, then never fear just take your dear sweet time in the shower. Believe me this helps too.
- Watch some good ghost movies– This is just my movie genre preference but they always seem to make me feel better. They don’t have to be ghostly but if you’re going to lie around all day, you might as well enjoy yourself. And when you are scared, you may forget that you are also miserable.
- Meditate– This may seem unnecessary to some but many studies have shown that the mind and body are connected. If you take care of your mind, your body will start to take care of itself and you will get better faster.
- Put Vicks under and around your nose– this is something that I just tried. It was suggested by a friend and it works!!! It stings the nose a bit (if it’s red) but it heals faster, stops running and makes it so much easier to breathe. Don’t forget to put Vicks on your chest and back as well. Every little bit helps and reminds you of what your mother did when you were a child.
- Cough and Hack until it’s out of your system – This is pretty self-explanatory. The reason why you cough in the first place is to get the virus out of your system. So let it all out! Blow your nose as well. Don’t be dainty. Be loud, long and strong.
- Vitamins, Herbs and Minerals – You will need to take Vitamin C, Echinachea, Ginseng and Zinc. These four will help boost immunity and get rid of the cold faster.
- Drink some wine – It may not cure it but it sure feels good until you pass out. (See #1)
- If all else fails call an Exorcist – Why not? You’ve tried everything else.
You want to take special care of yourself. A little pampering, indulgence and T.L.C. will go a long way. Treat yourself as you would treat a child. In the end, you will not only feel better but you will have experienced a little love as well. It’s almost like a vacation except you suffer instead of your wallet.